Temporary GIS Spatial Modeller
Looking for an exciting challenge? Use your spatial modelling experience to process, collate, analyse and model NSW’s 23 million hectares of forest as part of a state-wide project. Full time contract until 30 June 2022. Parramatta location.
What’s on Offer:
As Senior Project Officer (Forestry Programs), you’ll be:
- Working alongside experts to develop and apply spatial modelling and statistical techniques for an area equivalent to the whole land mass of New Zealand,
- Assisting with the evaluation of the biodiversity, forest type and condition, disturbance and recovery, carbon storage and flux of NSW’s forested landscapes
- Earning between $63,199 – $117,909 pa plus superannuation
- Working as part of the greater NSW Department of Primary Industries team
- On a contract located in Parramatta.
What You’ll Do:
- Locate, process, collate, analyse and apply statistical modelling techniques to multiple spatial datasets for the characterization and modelling of forests in NSW across a range of software platforms (using a suite of GIS, remote sensing, and statistical packages).
- Provide expertise in the manipulation of GIS layers and remotely sensed datasets including programming, data fusion, modelling, statistical analysis and visual presentation.
- Initiate, manage and report on the purchase and processing of large aerial LiDAR scanning and other remotely acquired optical datasets.
- Provide technical advice to assist with the in house management of quality data storage solutions
- Develop strong professional relationships with various Commonwealth and State-based agencies, and other sources, to share knowledge and locate, access and collate required spatial information.
- Contribute to the reporting, publishing and dissemination of research results.
- Work collaboratively with scientists and GIS analysts within NSW DPI Forest Science and with other teams working on joint projects, by providing GIS and remote sensing data, modelling and analysis.
What You’ll Have:
- A degree and demonstrated technical skills and experience in spatial sciences including working with LiDAR and satellite data.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in spatial modelling including machine learning techniques and statistical software packages that can handle spatially explicit datasets (e.g. R statistical or WEKA software packages) for classification and mapping.
- Experience with point cloud data processing software (e.g. LASTools, Agisoft PhotoScan)
What You’ll Need to be Successful and Enjoy This Role:
- Proven experience in spatial modelling, GIS and statistical techniques
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to source information and negotiate outcomes
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A talent for working both autonomously as well as part of a team
- A collaborative approach to your work
- An ability to own the process and get things done
- Pride in your work
- John Samuel, Project Forester on; 0447 445 601 or email@example.com
- You can view the full role description here.
- Please note that to be eligible for this role position you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, or hold a valid Australian working visa. The Department of Industry is unable to support employers sponsored workers visas (457).
- Please note that recruitment for this position may be delayed by the Christmas and New Year period and as such interviews may not be held until mid-January 2019.
- A recruitment pool may be created from this recruitment action for ongoing and temporary roles of the same standard that may become available for filling over the next twelve months.
The Department of Industry is committed to ensuring the sector reflects the NSW community it serves. We promote a flexible and inclusive workplace where staff have access to opportunities and resources at all levels, enabling our team to drive innovation, productivity and the delivery of high-quality services. We welcome and encourage applications from people across our diverse community. We believe everyone has the right to feel safe, respected, valued and heard regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background or disability.
How to ApplySimply submit your application electronically via the online application process, attaching a resume and cover letter outlining how your skills and experience matching what we are looking for, and we will get back in touch after the closing date. Closing Date: 11:55pm on Sunday 9th December, 2018
224 total views, 4 today