Full-Time GIS Technician
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Climate Friendly is seeking a full-time GIS Technician for immediate start in our Sydney Office.
Acting to combat climate change is one of the world’s most pressing challenges. Climate Friendly was founded in 2003 as a profit-for-purpose business. Our growing team is passionate about active land management, and we are focused on finding economically viable solutions to maximise our impact on climate change. We have a proven track record, having already delivered over 7 million tonnes of carbon abatement since 2015.
We are expanding our team to build on our success and help achieve our purpose of reducing emissions by 25 million tonnes by 2020, and 100 million tonnes by 2025.
As one of Australia’s largest and most experienced carbon farming project developers, Climate Friendly helps land owners and land managers to unlock economic, social and environmental value through improved management of Australia’s land. This includes more than 100 partnerships with farmers, plantation managers, agribusiness and Indigenous groups on carbon farming projects.
The position will work in a small team to deliver GIS solutions for a portfolio of existing and developing carbon farming projects. The position will support the ongoing development, improvement and production of quality spatial information through the GIS systems and related processes and standards, including:
- Preparation of spatial data (including landcover classification and monitoring) for feasibility assessments and reporting to external parties
- Processing field imagery, including drone imagery, for use in spatial analysis
Selection Criteria – Knowledge Skills & Experience:
- Graduate of forestry or science, with a GIS major or specialisation
- Proficiency across a range of spatial information systems and analytical tools (including QGIS as a minimum) and ability to expand knowledge rapidly
- Exposure to PostGIS for implementing queries in spatial SQL
- Demonstrated ability (on any platform) to use scripting for automated workflow(s)
- Good working knowledge of supervised image classification techniques
- Highly organised with the ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to work in a small team and contribute to group problem solving
- Understanding of the Emissions Reduction Fund methods and data requirements is highly desirable
- Availability for immediate start highly desirable
Climate Friendly encourages people from different backgrounds to apply, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from different cultural backgrounds and people with disabilities.
Position would suit a recent graduate with a specialisation in GIS, with related work experience preferred.
For a detailed job description please send an email with your contact details to email@example.com.
How to ApplyTo apply for the position please submit a cover letter addressing the selection criteria and a curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org by 16 January 2019.
618 total views, 1 today